Over the previous 7 months, I’ve been doing a weekly problem on a new blog called ‘Find Your Spark’.
My purpose with it’s to jot down a brand new ‘immediate’ weblog publish each week for 52 weeks on the subject of serving to individuals ‘discover their spark’ (and to assist me discover mine too).
On this publish, I assumed I’d share a few of what I’ve realized (and relearned) by doing this problem.
1. I’ve cherished beginning one thing new
Whereas I like ProBlogger and Digital Pictures College (my major blogs), it’s been refreshing to get again to writing one thing I’m keen about.
2. Having a ‘problem’
Committing publicly to jot down a weekly publish for a yr) has been very motivating for me and has helped me keep on process.
3. I’ve actually loved utilizing the Ghost running a blog platform
Whereas I normally encourage new bloggers to start out their weblog on a platform that they management and Ghost is a hosted service – there’s additionally one thing fairly releasing about not having to work out the tech challenges when beginning one thing new. I don’t assume I’d have began this venture if I needed to do it by myself server, with my very own design, and many others. I made a decision after I began that I’d not spend a lot time ‘tweaking’ design or options and make investments 99% of my time into creating content material. I feel this has paid off huge time.
- Ghost not solely gives you with a running a blog platform however a e-newsletter. Being able to hit publish and know that the brand new publish mechanically additionally goes out by way of e-mail in a e-newsletter is fairly cool.
- Whereas I’m not monetising what I do, you may also have paid membership tiers to supply premium content material to paid subscribers, which is fairly cool.
- Whereas Ghost is new(ish), it’s nice to see that they’re persevering with to develop the platform. In the previous couple of months, they’ve added new options, together with feedback, new stats/insights, viewers suggestions and many others.
4. I’ve cherished the method of researching, gathering concepts and creating content material once more
I’ve tried various kinds of kinds of content material during the last 29 weeks (totally different lengths, curating some content material, utilizing quotes and many others) and have cherished the tempo of 1 considerate publish every week. I’ve in all probability gone longer/deeper into the content material than I had anticipated after I began the problem, however I’ve actually loved the long-form method
I’ve taken the method with this weblog of reporting what I’m studying quite than attempting to return throughout as an skilled. This voice has served me effectively previously, however notably with the matters I’m masking (which I suppose border on private improvement), I feel it’s been essential.
5. Ranging from scratch is tough!
I had forgotten how onerous it’s to speculate a lot time and vitality into creating content material solely to listen to a powerful silence after you hit publish. Ranging from scratch with constructing an viewers after which getting engagement from that viewers is tough!
Whereas I’m writing primarily for my very own improvement, I feel I’d maybe taken without any consideration the fantastic neighborhood I’ve grown over time on my different blogs.
I think that with my method of investing all of my efforts into writing, I’ve fallen quick in selling the content material as a lot as I’ve with earlier blogs within the early years. I feel I have to tweak this method.
6. I’m glad I brainstormed matters earlier than I began the problem
Earlier than I began, I used thoughts map software program to create 52 matters that I might write on over the yr. I’ve since give you different concepts and discarded a number of the authentic ones, but it surely has been very useful to have that financial institution of concepts to attract on when I’ve had weeks the place I’ve not felt as impressed to jot down, or not too long ago after I travelled with the household for just a few weeks. Right here’s a podcast episode I recorded about using mind maps in your blogging.
All in all, the problem has been a really rewarding course of for me up to now. I’m studying tons about running a blog and the matters I’ve written about.
For these eager to observe alongside – the brand new weblog is at https://find-your-spark.ghost.io/
When you do wish to begin a weblog, I’d suggest signing up for my FREE Ultimate Guide to Starting a Blog Course.